Week 2 Bowl Projections: TCU Remains a Popular Selection Among Media
The 29th Camping World Bowl is still a few months away, but it’s never too early to start predicting which ACC and Big 12 teams might be headed to Orlando.
Here’s a round-up of projections from around the college football media world after Week 2:
Kyle Bonagura (ESPN): Virginia Tech vs. TCU
Mitch Sherman (ESPN): Boston College vs. TCU
Eric Single (Sports Illustrated): Miami vs. TCU
Jerry Palm (CBS Sports): Virginia Tech vs. TCU
Bill Bender (SportingNews): Miami vs. Texas
Jason Kirk (SBNation): Virginia Tech vs. West Virginia
Brant Parsons (Orlando Sentinel): Virginia Tech vs. TCU
CollegeFootballNews.com: Virginia Tech vs. TCU
247 Sports: Miami vs. TCU
Virginia Tech vs. TCU
- Four of nine media members polled picked Virginia Tech-TCU, the most of any one matchup for the second consecutive week.
- This would be the first meeting between programs.
- Virginia Tech made its second Camping World Bowl appearance last season; the Hokies lost to Oklahoma State 30-21.
- The Hokies’ first Camping World Bowl appearance was a 13-10 win over Rutgers in 2012 — the only overtime game in the bowl’s history.
— StateOfTheU.com (@TheStateOfTheU) June 14, 2018
Miami vs. Texas
- The Hurricanes and Longhorns split four previous meetings, 2-2, and have not met since the 1991 Cotton Bowl, a 46-3 Miami victory.
- Texas has traveled to Florida for three previous bowl games — the last was the 1974 Gator Bowl — and would be making its debut in the Camping World Bowl.
- Miami has played in the Camping World Bowl five times – tied with NC State for the most appearances in game history.
Boston College vs. TCU
- The programs split a home-and-home series in 1987 and 1988, the only previous meetings between the teams.
- Boston College won the first game in Chestnut Hill 28-20 while TCU was victorious the next year in Fort Worth 31-17.
- Boston College is 2-0 in Camping World Bowl appearances; the Eagles defeated Michigan State 24-21 in the then-Champs Sports Bowl in 2007 and beat Virginia 21-13 in 1994, when the game was played in Miami and was known as the Carquest Bowl.
- This would not only be TCU’s first appearance in the Camping World Bowl, but the program’s first appearance in a bowl game in the state of Florida since they lost to Georgia 40-26 in the 1942 Orange Bowl.
Miami vs. TCU
- Miami is 6-3 all-time against TCU; their first meeting came in 1946, a 20-12 Miami win.
- The programs have not faced each other since the 1992 season, when Miami defeated the Horned Frogs 45-10.
- Miami is 3-2 in the Camping World Bowl; its last appearance was in 2016 when the Hurricanes beat West Virginia 31-14.
- TCU has never played in the Camping World Bowl.
Virginia Tech vs. West Virginia
- Overall, the Mountaineers hold the 28-23-1 advantage in the series
- In addition to the 2017 and 2012 Camping World Bowl games, Virginia Tech also visited Orlando for the 2016 ACC Championship Game at Camping World Stadium, a 2000 road game against UCF and a 1991 neutral-site game against top-ranked Florida State
- West Virginia has appeared four times in the Camping World Bowl but has yet to leave Orlando victorious.
- The Mountaineers’ most recent Camping World Bowl game was a 31-14 loss to Miami in 2016.