Week 1 Bowl Projections: Virginia Tech Expected to Make a Return to Orlando
The 29th Camping World Bowl is still a few months away, but it’s never too early to start predicting which ACC and Big 12 teams might be headed to Orlando.
Here’s a round-up of projections from around the college football media world after Week 1:
Kyle Bonagura (ESPN): Miami vs. TCU
Mitch Sherman (ESPN): Boston College vs. Iowa State
Eric Single (Sports Illustrated): Florida State vs. Texas
Jerry Palm (CBS Sports): Virginia Tech vs. TCU
Brant Parsons (Orlando Sentinel): Virginia Tech vs. TCU
CollegeFootballNews.com: Virginia Tech vs. TCU
247 Sports: Florida State vs. TCU
Miami vs. TCU
- The programs have not faced each other since the 1992 season, when Miami defeated the Horned Frogs 45-10.
- Miami is 6-3 all-time against TCU; their first meeting came in 1946, a 20-12 Miami win.
- Miami has played in the Camping World Bowl five times – tied with NC State for the most appearances in game history.
- Miami is 3-2 in the Camping World Bowl; its last appearance was in 2016 when the Hurricanes beat West Virginia 31-14.
- TCU has never played in the Camping World Bowl.
Boston College vs. Iowa State
- The teams have faced off one time previously in 1961 – Boston College won 14-10 in Chestnut Hill.
- Boston College is 2-0 in Camping World Bowl appearances; the Eagles defeated Michigan State 24-21 in the then-Champs Sports Bowl in 2007 and beat Virginia 21-13 in 1994, when the game was played in Miami and was known as the Carquest Bowl.
- This would not only be Iowa State’s first appearance in the Camping World Bowl, but the program’s first ever appearance in a bowl game in the state of Florida.
Florida State vs. Texas
- The Seminoles and Longhorns have never squared off on the gridiron.
- Florida State has made three prior appearances in the Camping World Bowl; this would be the first for Texas.
- The Seminoles’ last Camping World Bowl visit came in 2011, when they knocked off Notre Dame 18-14 in front of 68,305 fans — the bowl’s largest attendance since moving to Orlando in 2001.
Virginia Tech vs. TCU
- This Virginia Tech-TCU matchup was picked by three media members, the most of any one matchup.
- This would be the first meeting between programs.
- Virginia Tech made its second Camping World Bowl appearance last season; the Hokies lost to Oklahoma State 30-21.
- The Hokies’ first appearance was a 13-10 win over Rutgers in 2012 — the only overtime game in the bowl’s history.
Florida State vs. TCU
- The two teams met three consecutive seasons from 1963-65 but have not played since – TCU leads the series 2-1
- Florida State is a perfect 3-0 in the Camping World Bowl, having won the inaugural 1990 game (then the Blockbuster Bowl) before winning again in 2008 (vs. Wisconsin) and 2011 (vs. Notre Dame).