Bowl Projections: After Four Weeks, Media Predicts Two Rematches and a Former MVP Returning As a Coach
The 28th Camping World Bowl is still a few months away, but it’s never too early to start predicting which ACC and Big 12 teams might be headed to Orlando. Here’s a round-up of projections from around the college football media world through Week 4.
Kyle Bonagura (ESPN): NC State vs. Texas Tech
David M. Hale (ESPN): Georgia Tech vs. West Virginia
Eric Single (Sports Illustrated): NC State vs. West Virginia
Jerry Palm (CBSSports.com): Virginia Tech vs. Kansas State
Bill Bender (Sporting News): Louisville vs. Oklahoma State
Jason Kirk (SB Nation): Florida State vs. Texas
Brant Parsons (Orlando Sentinel): Virginia Tech vs. Oklahoma State
CollegeFootballNews.com: NC State vs. West Virginia
Brett McMurphy: Florida State vs. West Virginia
NC State vs. West Virginia
- Rematch of our 2010 matchup, which saw a Russell Wilson-led NC State team top West Virginia, 23-7
- All-time series tied 5-5; NC State has won past three meetings (2010, 1979, 1978)
- Mountaineers’ last victory in the series came in 1975 Peach Bowl
- NC State holds record for most appearances in Camping World Bowl history with five; West Virginia is second with four
NC State vs. Texas Tech
- Wolfpack and Red Raiders have met five times previously; NC State have won past four meetings after dropping their first contest in 1952
- Texas Tech’s only prior appearance in the bowl came in 2002, when current head coach Kliff Kingsbury led the Red Raiders to a 55-15 victory over Clemson, earning MVP honors for his effort.
Georgia Tech vs. West Virginia
- Rematch of our 1997 game, which saw Georgia Tech top West Virginia 35-30 behind Ramblin’ Wreck quarterback Joe Hamilton’s 365-all-purpose-yard performance.
- Hamilton — the game MVP — returned to Central Florida during his pro career as the Orlando Predators’ quarterback from 2004-06.
- The Yellow Jackets lead the all-time series with West Virginia, 2-1.
- All three meetings between the two schools have come in bowl games, with the Yellow Jackets earning victories in the 1954 Sugar Bowl and 1997 Carquest Bowl, while the Mountaineers topped Georgia Tech in Calvin Johnson’s final collegiate game at the 2007 Gator Bowl.
Virginia Tech vs. Kansas State
- Hokies and Wildcats have met just twice previously, with each team picking up a win
- Have not met since 1968
- Virginia Tech’s last appearance in the game came in 2012 in the bowl’s lone overtime game, a 13-10 victory over Rutgers.
- Kansas State would not only be making its first Camping World Bowl appearance, but also its first Florida bowl appearance.
Louisville vs. Oklahoma State
- The Cardinals and Cowboys met in 1981 and 1982, with each team winning once
- College and Pro Football Hall of Fame Coach Jimmy Johnson was the Cowboys’ head coach in both meetings, part of his first head coaching stint
Florida State vs. Texas
- The Seminoles and Longhorns have never squared off on the gridiron
- Florida State has made three prior appearances in the Camping World Bowl; this would be the first for Texas
- The Seminoles’ last bowl visit came in 2011, when they knocked off Notre Dame 18-14 in front of 68,305, the bowl’s largest attendance since moving to Orlando in 2001
Virginia Tech vs. Oklahoma State
- The teams have split their head-to-head series all-time, 1-1, with the most recent meeting coming in 1972
- Virginia Tech’s only appearance in the bowl was its overtime victory in 2012; Oklahoma State has never played in the Camping World Bowl
Florida State vs. West Virginia
- The Seminoles and Mountaineers have met three times, and Florida State has won each meeting
- All three meetings came in the postseason in the Gator Bowl (1982, 2005, 2010)
- The most recent meeting was Bobby Bowden’s final game on the FSU sidelines before retiring